You Know You Live in Dubai When…
- You associate Friday brunch with drunken British expats rather than eggs and toast
- The cost of petrol is less than the cost of using the metro
- You see more cranes than trees
- You would rather hit yourself in the face than drive to the neighbouring city of Sharjah
- It is possible to buy gold from an ATM machine
- You use umbrellas for shelter from the sun rather than rain
- You know that while ‘inshallah’ literally translates to ‘god willing’, it actually means no
- Storms mean sandstorms, not rainstorms or snowstorms
- You have seen women swimming at the beach, covered from head to toe in abayas
- There is no chance of taking a cold shower during summer
- The grocery store will deliver stuff worth $1 to your house
- You spend more time trying to get out of the Dubai Mall car park than you have actually spent in the mall
- Your phone auto corrects ‘habibi’ to ‘habit’
- You wear a sweater whenever the temperature dips below 25C
- You have multiple stories that begin with ‘I hate Etisalat/Du’ because there is no competition between telecom providers
I feel for you! And Dubai is one of the better places to stay in the Gulf!
Don’t get me wrong… I definitely appreciate a tax free salary in warm climate. If I have my way I will never have to see snow again 🙂
This should include: having to move to a new flat every year or every six months (just because).
A most interesting education. Thank you.
I’ve always been curious about Dubai – a couple friends of friends have moved there for work opportunities. What’s the climate like for lesbians? Is it as horrific as one (well, me) might imagine?
I’m no expert on this topic but it’s definitely not something that’s encouraged. If you’re not actually caught engaging in something I would imagine you would be okay but anything overt will probably result in trouble.