Dubai’s Unofficial Driving Rules
It’s been a while since I got my driver’s license. Evidently the official driving rules I was taught no longer seem to matter. Based on months of observation here are the unofficial driving rules of Dubai.
1. When merging lanes, the larger car has right of way. If both cars are the same size, the car with darker tinted windows has right of way.
2. Refrain from using indicators. If you must use them wait until you have already finished changing lanes.
3. In crowded mall parking lots, occupy 2 spots at the same time
4. If you have an accident in a single lane road, get out of your car and have a yelling match. The people honking behind you are simply providing background music.
5. The optimal space for double parking is at a T-junction.
6. Speed up to overtake faster cars. Once you are in front of them, drastically slow down.
7. If there is an accident slow down to take a look. The people behind you in a traffic jam do not mind waiting for such a worthy cause.
8. Change as many lanes as you can at one time. The more cars that sharply break because of you, the better.
9. It’s fine to steer with your knees if your hands are occupied with more important things like texting, smoking and phone calls.
10. If there is a long queue to take an exit, go to the front of the queue and cut in. Waiting in line is a waste of your time.
We lived in Abu Dhabi for ten years and I can verify the truth of your post. Here in rural France the locals confine themselves to tailgating and overtaking queues of traffic on blind hills. Which is a bit of an improvement, I suppose.
🙂 I should have put in rule #11. Avoid Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Saudi drivers at all costs!
But they will find you (cf Liam Neeson).
I think you are not in Dubai, but instead you’re right here where I live….obviously the same rules!
🙂 perhaps Dubai drivers are in your town or vice versa.
Where do you live?
Funny, it sounds an awful lot like New York!
Pretty much the same driving rules for anywhere in the US, also.
you sure these are for Dubai? Sounds kind of way too much familiar 🙂
I was just thinking the same thing! But not about Germany obviously – this is all Latvian 😉 Why steer with your knees when you can just go hand- and knee-free? 😉
I am obviously going to have to edit the title to say ‘the world’ instead of ‘Dubai’ now. Or perhaps ‘the world except Germany’?
Works for me! 🙂